1. Name of the department – English
2. Year of Establishment- 1949
3. Names of Programmes/Courses offered: UG, PG
4. Names of Inter disciplinary courses and the departments/units involved :
Collaboration with other department on comparative literature, and with science for improvement of spoken/colloquial English.
5. Annual/ semester/ choice based credit system (programmewise):
UG Annual System PG Semester System
6. Participation of the department in the courses offered by other departments:
Spoken English Classes in NTT and BBA.
7. Courses in collaboration with other universities, industries, foreigninstitutions, etc.: NIL
8. Details of courses/programmes discontinued (if any) with reasons: None
9. Numberof teaching posts:
|Sanctioned ||Filled |
10. Faculty profile with name, qualification, designation, specialization (D.Sc./ D.Litt./ Ph.D./ M.Phil. etc.,)
|NAME||Qualification||Designation||Specialization||Experience||PhD Prod./Going on|
|Mala Sinha||MA||Associate Prof.||Romantic Poetry||32 Years||None|
|Shweta Singh Komal||Assistant Prof.|
12. Percentage of lectures delivered and practical classes handled (programmewise)
By temporary faculty: 5%
13. Student-Teacher Ratio (programmewise) : UG 195 : 4 PG 15 : 4
14. Number of academic support staff (technical) and administrative staff; sanctioned and filled : NA
15. Qualifications of teaching faculty with DSc/D.Litt/Ph.D/MPhil/PG.
PhD : 03 PG : 01
16. Number of faculty with on going projects from a) National b) International funding agencies and grants received: [UGC project Applied for 03 ]
17. Departmental projects funded by DST-FIST, UGC, DBT, ICSSR etc. and total grants received: Minor Projects-Applied for 03 to UGC
18. Research Centre/facility recognized by the University: NONE
* a) Publication per faculty
|S.NO||NAME||NO. OF PUBLICATION|
|1||Dr. Nushrat Yunus||10|
|4||Dr. Arati Sinha||09|
* Number of papers published in peer reviewed journals (national/international) by faculty and students
|S.NO||NAME||NO. OF PUBLICATION|
|1||Dr. Nushrat Yunus||02 [National]|
|2||Dr. Madhulika||03-International, 01 National|
|4||Dr. Arati Sinha||01-International, 06 National|
* Number of publications listed in International Database(For Eg:Web of Science, Scopus, Humanities International Complete, Dare Database-International Social Sciences Directory, EBSCO host,etc.)
*Chapter in Books: 02 [Dr. Madhulika]
*Books Edited 03 [Dr. Madhulika] Manuals : 03
*Books with ISBN/ISSN numbers with details of publishers : 03+01(Under publication, Communication Skills for MBA Students)
SBN- 978-93-82281-02-3, ISBN 10:8125031626, ISBN 978-81-250-39907.
Dr. Madhulika – Corporate Training, Defence Services Training, Workshop for teachers and students on Interview skill and Pronunciation Skill. (Conducted in Delhi)
21. Faculty as members in:
a)National committees : 01 Dr. Nushrat Yunus
b)International Committees: Dr. Madhulika , Life member of ELTAI, Voices , Fortell, BSG Member,Co-ordinator, IQAQ, N.A.A.C.
Dr. Mala Sinha, Co-ordinator (B.Ed), Secretary Teacher Association (S.M.College.)
c)Editorial Boards: Dr. Madhulika Jha, Mala Sinha (S.M.College) College, Magazine
22. Student projects:
a) Percentage of students who have done in-house projects including inter departmental/programme : 100%
b) Percentage of students placed for projects in organizations outside the institution i.e. in Research laboratories/Industry/ other agencies : NONE
23. Awards/Recognitions received by faculty and students:
24. List of eminent academicians and scientists/visitors to the department
25. Seminars/ Conferences/ Workshops organized & the source of funding a) National :
Details of Infrastructural facilities
a) Library : Available
b) Internet facilities for Staff & Students: Available
c) Class rooms with ICT facility: Available in College
d) Laboratories: Practical rooms Language Lab Underway
Number of students receiving financial assistance from college,university,
Government or other agencies: See SSR 5.1.2
Details on student enrichment programmes(special lectures/workshops/
seminar) with external experts :
Teaching me thods adopted to improve student learning:
Apart from the classes in the regular mode the department resorts to regular seminars, tutorials, remedial courses, special training in pronunciation, assignments, group discussions etc. for the benefit of the students. Students are given preliminary training on using the internet for accessing digital library resources. In order to grow competitive attitude among the students, competitions such as creative writing, mock-reading, extempore speech etc are held in the department.
Participation in Institutional Social Responsibility (ISR) and Extension activities: Through College Committee
SWOC analysis of the department and Future plans:
1. Teacher Student ratio in compulsory English not at par with the recommended limit.
2. Shortage of Faculty member.
1. To introduce courses that will enhance communicative skills of the students.
2. To introduce research methodology classes for PhD .
3. To undertake research projects on Teaching English and other relevant topics.
4. Develop and enhance students abilities to communicate in written English while encouraging students to view themselves as engaged, creativeand relevant producers of knowledge.Develop students literary background as one part of a humanities background which fosters intellectual skills, humanistic understanding, cross-cultural literacy, and aesthetic appreciation.
6. Develop students ability to think analytically, speculatively, and imaginatively in ways that are applicable across the disciplines.
7. Enhance students ability to employ instructional technology in their writing, learning and research in innovative and creative ways.
1. To increase the teacher student ratio for efficient delivery of the curriculum
2. To remove the stigma of being the highest contributor to cases of the drop out from the college.
3. To transform the students with limited/ Inadequate competence in English into valuable human resources.
4. To cope with the changing teaching methodologies to suit classes with large number
1. To develop the department library by adopting a policy of voluntary contribution of books by the faculty and students.
2. To publish the journal of the Forum for English Studies regularly.
3. To establish a language Laboratory